Thursday 10 December 2015

Lights on/off Amsterdam!

There is at the moment some light art to see by the canals of Amsterdam. The annual light festival is there to be admired. I passed the Herengracht-canal earlier this week by walking and did a very quick visit today just when it started to get darker. Luckily the festival lasts from 28th of November until 17th of January and I have time to see the whole show and also when it is really dark. I just saw a small part of it. The festival has an official boat and a walking route, but of course you can just walk around and enjoy the lights the way you want. The christmas decorations and other lights are also everywhere to be seen, but it is nice that the lighs of the festival are beside the water, giving nice reflections when interacting with the movements of water.










Even if it is so nice to have lights everywhere when it's dark, it is also important to think how much light do we need after all. It is good to check your own habits every now and then. The lights in the house doesn't have to be on everywhere, just where you or the other people are doing something. Small things and changes can be ecological and save some money too. The more you start to pay attention to these things, the more you find some small everyday habits that can be updated to be more environment friendly choices. Too much is too much!




These I have to see in the dark later.


All these lights are switched on in the late afternoon that there is something inspiring to see when making a canal cruise in the dark evenings or walking in town. Not forgetting the commercial effect. Maybe this gives also an extra motivation for some people to have a walk outside by the canals instead of watching tv at home. Lights give some hope of the spring and this visual impulse reminds us to keep on going and being creative also in the winter. Light gives a feeling of safety when walking on the streets and in a traffic or when cycling out there, remember your lights. We need to see each other!



Daylight version..... and the afternoon version.




 Lights off and lights on.



In the end... lights on at home.

I like christmas time and to decorate my house a little bit, but I am not a big fan of buying some new stuff for decoration every year and I don't have my deco-lights on all day long. Instead of that, I am happy to make some simple paper decorations & try to find a way to use my old items in a new way every year. Soft lightning and candles make a warm atmosphere at home.





My daughter had learned to make this sort of paper decoration at school this week. She showed me how to do these. It is nice how the kids get bigger and I can learn new things from them. Maybe this deco wall needs still a little bit more colour, maybe something green from the flower shop or from the park. But I like also this simple version. 

The End - Lights off